27 January 2009

Snow Day and Found Time

Around 11:00 a.m. yesterday we were hit with a major ice storm. It started on the sidewalks, people sliding and skating and slipping and falling to the ground. Then the roads followed and soon cars were sliding and slipping. The University, in their infinite wisdom, decided to close at 2:00 p.m., which was the right decision, but it sent everyone onto the roads at the same time. Not so wise.

Of course the ice kept falling all day and night and then a little snow got in on the action. So the University, in their infinite wisdom, closed for the day.

Snow day, bitches!

After waking at 7:00 a.m. this morning and checking the website (since posting that the school would be closed last night would have been just too convenient) I got to go back to bed and sleep in. Then I got up, walked the dog (who loves the snow and ice, let me tell you), drank a cup of tea and ate a few clementines. Marvelous. I love snow days.

But here's my dilemma: When I lived in Charlotte, my roommate, Robert, had this theory, a philosophy of life really, that he called "found time." In essence, found time occurs whenever you have some obligation scheduled that is then, unexpectedly, canceled. (e.g., snow days.) Robert's philosophy, in its infinite wisdom, held that one should never do work or anything else productive with found time. You wouldn't have had that time to do work in the first place since you would have been in class or at work or wherever. Instead, found time should be put to more enjoyable uses since you won't lose any time for work. Instead, you've gained time for play.

Great philosophy, right? Good way to live one's life. But here's my dilemma: I love found time. It doesn't happen as often as it once did, and so when it does occur, I feel I should take full advantage of it. But I have this First Year Exam coming up in 2.5 weeks, so I should use this found time to prepare for that. However, that violates the very principle of found time. What to do?

1 comment:

Wendi said...

I say take some time to do something that you enjoy and wouldn't normally be able to do. I have a theory paper due on Sunday that I could be working on but I figure I would be teaching right now so I will work on it later. Enjoy your snow day.