27 July 2008

Going away

You know what I hate? Moving and leaving friends behind. But you know what I don't hate? Going away parties. And we've had quite a few this week.

Friday night, Erika hosted a party at her old apartment. It was almost all her friends, so it was really her gig more than mine. We sat around in the back yard, cooked out, drank beer, played croquet, and had a good time in general. Stephanie and Melissa, who planned the whole thing, even decided to have a cowboy theme since we're going to Oklahoma.

Then last night, TC and Kevin had a cookout for us, and it was more my style, very laid back, people sitting around the back porch talking and eating good food. Many people I graduated with were there, like TC, Suzanne, and even Sarah Alouf, whom I hadn't seen in ages. A lot of the English faculty were also there, such as Alan and Betty. The highlight for me, however, was that Dr. Carter came, so I got to see him one last time before I left. My parents were even there because they came up yesterday to take the table and a few other things.

Speaking of furniture, Brandon and John picked up the couch today, so I've pretty much unloaded all of my furniture. I'm going home to an empty apartment later. Egads!

The sadness of moving hasn't quite hit me yet. More than anything, I'm excited to go and start my new life in my new home. But I think I don't fully realize the move is about to happen. I don't think I fully realize that in a few days (Thursday) we're going to drive out of town and not come back. That Sunday morning we're going to start the long drive, and Monday morning move into our new apartment in Stillwater, OK, where I will most likely live for the next five years.

Now that I put it like that. ...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you know what i think of when i think "croquet"? rich people...quit frontin'...your a teacher/student for g-d's sake.

Ms. Frances said...

I can relate to the difficulty of leaving She-town. Though I think you know it best; you've done it twice now. It is kind of a deadend town, for most, though. At least until you move away and get another degree. Do you think you might grace Shepherd's blackboards again after you get your pH?

Joshua Cross said...

Max ... Does it make it better that I had a PBR in one hand while I was playing croquet?

Frances ... I don't know if it's so deadened for most people. If that were true, why does everyone either stay perpetually or leave and come back? And I may grace the blackboard of my Alma Mater if they have a position for me in 5 years, which is not that likely.

Unknown said...

That might actually make it worse, but in a completely different way...